Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Feast

This is the first Thanksgiving ever that Matt and I have stayed home in Nashville instead of traveling to visit family. I am certain that traveling five plus hours in a car would have been VERY uncomfortable for me at this point. I can hardly sit on the couch for 30 minutes without my back hurting. So we took the opportunity to create our own Thanksgiving feast.


















Matt and I picked some of our favorite Thanksgiving foods to make. Matt chose his mom's sweet potato casserole. It sure was yummy!















I chose green bean casserole. We used fresh green beans so that it would feel a little more healthy.














Then, I decided to try to make chicken and dressing. This has always been a staple at Thanksgiving in my family. Thanksgiving just wouldn't have been the same without it. So, I found a recipe in a cookbook, made my very own cornbread, and mixed it up! It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, and it was SO worth the time!














OK, then there was the turkey breast. I was up quite early this morning (2 a.m.), so I decided to look online for a "how-to" guide to cooking turkey. I found that it was really important to brine the turkey first to make it more tender. So, I woke up this morning and "brined" my turkey breast, cooked it for an hour and a half, and it was done! Here is the finished product. I have to say that it was pretty good.














Last but not least, there was the Kentucky Derby pie. I borrowed this recipe from Rachel Lackey a few years ago. It was amazing!














That concludes the presentation of the first ever Metcalf family feast! Matt and I were a good team. Is it a lot of food for two people? Yes, but now I don't have to cook for at least two to three days!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I feel like a nap in front of a TV with a ball game playing softly in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the derby pie today (and yesterday) too! I didn't know I gave you that recipe. It's so wonderful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. The one time I cooked Thanksgiving - we cooked a turkey breast in the crockpot and it was really good and really easy.

    ReplyDelete