Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rewind … March 2009 to Present


Rewind to March 2009. Matt and I began the process of trying to get pregnant. I had it all planned out! You see, in January 2008 I started my Masters at Trevecca Nazarene University. I remember thinking and planning how perfect it would be if I finished my Masters in November, was pregnant, and had the baby soon after. That would have allowed me to stay home until the next school year began.

As months quickly passed, and I still was not pregnant it suddenly seemed that everyone else was. Many of our family and friends became pregnant after only a few months. Even pregnant women I passed in the grocery store became a symbol of my jealousy and sadness. Matt and I both were becoming very discouraged and often questioned God and his timing. During this part of our journey, Matt and I chose to confide in only a few family and friends. I mean, why would we want to let people know that we were hurting? I guess for us, it was just a private matter. Because people did not know, we often had to endure comments such as these: Oh, you will know when you are ready to have a baby. When are you guys going to have a baby?

In late December some good friends of ours, not knowing our situation, gave us the Shane and Shane CD. If you don’t know who they are, check them out online! I am going to record some of the words to, what became one of my prayers to God from their song, For the Good.

When darkness is surrounding me,
By your Spirit Lord help me see,
You are working all things out
And Lord I really need to hear you speak,
But remind me in the waiting,
You are working all things out for the good

Of those who are called by you
For those who love you …

Holy, God of light,
I lay down my life,
Holy is the Lord, even in the storms
Be glorified.


After Christmas, I got offered a job as a 1st grade teacher at Sunset Elementary in Brentwood, TN. Honestly, I began a part of my journey that would give me a LOT less time to think about being/getting pregnant. I began to see how the Lord put me there, at that specific time for a reason.

Let us fast forward a bit to late winter/ early spring 2010. I recall praying for someone with whom to walk this difficult journey. The Lord provided and sent me an amazing woman of God who had walked a similar journey.

It was April 2010; I had made up my mind to begin testing. I mean, I was just certain that something was wrong with me. Matt and I talked and had prepared to begin yet another difficult journey to determine the problem. However, on April 24 I woke up and knew it was way past my “time of the month.” I nervously took a pregnancy test. I remember shaking, waiting, and looking at the test in disbelief. This cannot be right I thought. I woke Matt up immediately. He didn’t believe it either. That day I went and bought another test. Yes, the companies that makes pregnancy tests LOVE ME!

As weeks passed, it became easier to believe that I really was pregnant. I thank God for the blessing of morning sickness that got worse as the weeks progressed. Here we are, beginning the 12th week of pregnancy! Yes, Baby M (as my 5-year-old nephew calls it) is growing and changing daily. We cannot wait to welcome him/her on December 27th, 2010 (or whenever he/she decides to arrive)!

13 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea you guys were trying. I remember when I wanted to have a baby SO badly and I almost couldnt even be around other pregnant women. Satan used them to attack me with jealousy! I am so happy for you guys. Isnt it a cool thing to know that there is a baby inside you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO excited to meet your little one! Thank you Jesus for this precious life! And yay for your new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I'm glad you're blogging.
    2. Sooo excited for you! I literally went to sleep smiling after you told me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so happy for you two. I COULD NOT quit telling Bill how excited I was. He started thinking I was weird.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I just heard you sing this song ;) I'm so excited for you! Congrats, again, for the 100th time. You will be such an amazing Mom, and can use this painful but now rewarding experience to teach Baby M about patience and God's provision & timing. How cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Kay, Hal and JessieJune 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

    Thank you, Andrea, for sharing your story. I feel like I am having a conversation with you as I read. We all love you both. Jessie just said, "they are so cool!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you guys and are so excited for you! I am praying for you to have a healthy and uneventful preganancy. ...AND I just realized you rocked a bikini a couple weeks ago.. GO ANDREA!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shanna ScrimpshireJune 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM

    Oh Andrea, I love love that you have shared this on here! I know it will help a ton of others going through the same thing! I just wanted to cry the whole time I was reading it, because God really is working things out for our good!! LOVE you and can't wait to meet baby M!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce Hayes FrazierJune 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM

    Wow! December 27 is my birthday. Hope it comes then.

    Just heard the news, Andrea, and I am so happy for you. I can't imagine Bob as a grandpa but, hey, it happens to us all (if we're lucky). Keeps us (in CMP) posted. Get as much rest as you can now because life as you know it today will never be the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so thrilled for you. You will both be great parents! So glad we got to eat with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late to the party. . .but congrats! Stratton is excited to have another cousin!! You need to have a girl so things will start balancing out a little more! There are 3 boys and just one girl in the family now! Poor Kylie needs a girl cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy for you, Andrea! You're going to be an amazing mom and an awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea, I'm so excited for you and Matt as you walk through these coming months -- counting off weeks! I know how long these days can be waiting to hold your newborn baby in your arms -- looking into those beautiful eyes! It is also exciting to know that you're staying busy -- working with ClearView's Youth -- going on the mission trip. I know God is smiling and saying, "Well done!" Just think -- if you had made the plans, you would not have gone to Chicago! I am a planner too -- it is hard for planners to let God be God sometimes and remember that His timing is perfect!! (I'm always looking back at life saying "Oh, I get it now, God!") I'm anxiously waiting to hear the next news! Do I buy boy-baby things or girl-baby things??

    ReplyDelete