Friday, February 4, 2011

The Post-Pregnancy Plan

Yesterday I went to the gym. (Thanks to the Williamson County Rec Center for giving WC teachers free membership, I have no reason NOT to lose the baby weight.) So, Matt was working from home yesterday and I took the opportunity and made my way to the gym for the first time in ... well ... forever!

Couch to 10K. It got my attention as I was reading a post by a friend of mine at alyssainnashville. I clicked on the and read more about a running program that was not only supposed to help me run 6.21 miles but lose weight too! I mean, if you want something you have to work for it, right?!

I have to admit I am NOT a runner. I ran track in middle school just because my friends did. I think the coaches let me compete because they felt sorry for me or maybe for more practice. Either way, I knew myself that I would never make it to the state track competition. However, I do remember thinking that I was pretty good at jumping hurdles. Then one day my foot caught the hurdle in practice. I fell and busted my knee open. I wonder if that is why my knees make crackling sounds today when I run. Hmmm ...

So, I have completed the first session of Couch to 10K! I wonder if I will actually get to the gym enough to complete the program. I checked out the childcare area and just don't feel comfortable yet putting Avery in there. Either way, I have become more motivated in the last few weeks to get back into shape like I was in my mid-twenties. I know it will be even more difficult to keep working out when I go back to work in March. I haven't let myself think about that yet. It is going to be tough in every way.

So, exercise is the first step to getting back in shape and being healthy. The second—eating right. I will post my plan for that another day.

4 comments:

  1. Exercise coupled with breast feeding will do wonders for post baby weight loss! :) You already look amazing in such a short time, I'm sure you'll be where you want to before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember actually crying of happiness the first time I got back on a treadmill after Harper was born. My biggest problem was that I never felt comfortable putting the girls in the childcare area. :-( I still don't! So, I have to work out at home or get creative. It's really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea- I will be back to the gym the first part of June so I will help keep you accountable. Maybe we can run together on the weekends while our men babysit. :) Good for you for taking the first step. That's the hardest part and I dread that day already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Andrea. Couch to 5K is a great program...you should look into a jogging stroller on craigslist. I have a friend who had never run a mile in her life and decided to that program after she had kids. She used a jogging stroller and is getting ready to run her first marathon in April! You can do it!! (P.S. I saw you on Sunday and you look great!)

    ReplyDelete